I'm Chase Lake, a physicist and computer programmer located in downtown Denver. I'm a freelance programmer specializing in standalone object-oriented applications in C++ and Java, web applications, and embedded system programming. I also work with video games, virtual reality, mobile application development, and networking to a lesser extent.
I graduated from Whitworth University in 2019 with a bachelor's degree in both Physics and Computer Science and a minor in Mathematics and moved to Denver with my girlfriend for work in October of 2020. I have worked on a large variety of complex projects, using both modern physics and computer technologies to solve technical problems.
Some professional things I'm passionate about are scientific education, modern technologies, team organization, and project management. I believe everyone should have access to high quality education, excellent modern technology, and an effective and enjoyable team.
Less professional things I'm passionate about are cooking, traveling, board games and tabletop games, hiking, snowboarding, video games, and reading among other hobbies.
Some examples of projects I've worked on are:
- Designing, developing, and maintaining Whitworth University's online radio program, whitworth.fm.
- Developing a game physics engine for recreating the arcade game Joust in Intel x86 Assembly for Intel processors.
- Designing, wiring, and programming an Arduino-managed hydroponics system for my college's cafeteria to grow more sustainable food options.
- Programming a multi-threaded scheduler for a generic operating system, in Object-Oriented C++ to understand threaded processes better.
- Making a mobile application for Android phones in Java that tracks character information and does basic calculations for playing 5th Edition Dungeons and Dragons.
- Wiring an asynchronous processor on an FPGA through code for a college project.
- Calibrating a CO2 laser by hand.
- Recreating the Michelson-Morely experiment using an interferometer to measure the (lack of) density of illuminous ether.
Prior Work Experience
I've worked a plethora of jobs over the years. Everything from customer service-oriented positions to technical research positions. I moved to Denver in October of 2020 during the pandemic and have been developing my career path ever since. For a more up-to-date list of my job experience, feel free to check out my LinkedIn profile.
Here's some of the more notable jobs I've worked before moving to Denver, in reverse-chronological order:
Assistant Manager - Laser Quest, August 2018 – May 2020
I improved annual sales beyond the previous two years by building a positive team culture for an international chain. I trained new recruits, handled interpersonal issues and business with clients and staff, and managed business finances.
Lead Bartender - Beacon Hill Events and Catering, November 2018 - July 2019
I managed the bar for a variety of events including weddings, corporate parties, and personal celebrations, leading a small team to provide excellent customer service. I managed finances and paperwork, stocked and organized drinks, and coached new team members. I was also the highest- tipped member of the staff for 3 separate months.
Web Director - Whitworth University Radio, September 2017 – May 2018
I designed, programmed, and hosted the university online radio station. As a team leader of the station, I worked with other team members to improve the site and quickly resolve issues, and interviewed candidates to replace me the following year.
Research Assistant and Data Analyst Intern – ReliOn Fuel Cells, May 2017 – September 2017
I increased cell catalyst efficiency and lifespan by developing a test environment for calls returned with user data. I also constructed scientific research stations to collect and analyze data and worked with a team of engineers to implement system improvements based on test results.
Beyond these, I've also been a professional driver, a lifeguard, a freelance programmer, a tutor for each of my disciplines (math, physics, and computer science), and a lab assistant.
I also programmed and host this website in my spare time. If you'd like to reach out to me to learn more, check out my contacts page and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks for taking the time to read all this! I'm excited to hear from you soon.